ABOUT KINGFISH MAINE
We're on a mission
to change the US seafood market.
Started on the Dutch shores of Zeeland, a healthy, antibiotic-free premium delicacy is coming to Maine: the Dutch Yellowtail (Seriola Lalandi / Pacific Yellowtail / Hiramasa).
The Dutch Yellowtail is a high grade sashimi, a grilled or smoked classic and a ‘Green Choice’ recommended by the Good Fish Foundation as an excellent sustainable alternative. Soon available fresh from Maine all year round, with daily deliveries across the US.
With an optimally located site near Chandler Bay, Jonesport, Kingfish Maine will be servicing the US market daily. The Kingfish Company is a first mover operating at the cutting edge of sustainable, land based, high value marine aquaculture in the EU and the US.
To grow a high quality product, our fish must thrive in the most optimal conditions.
Sustainability and respect to our fish and the environment are at the core of Kingfish Maine's values, and inform our design, operations, and technology decisions. Substantial efforts and costs have been incurred in order to assure that our operation is safe and healthy for our customers, stress-free and humane to our fish, and careful to protect the nature that surround us. Our sustainability measures include:
• No Antibiotics, No Vaccines: keeping our water pristine has its benefits happy healthy fish in optimal conditions can do without antibiotics or vaccines.
• Green Energy: Our operation runs on 100% renewable energy, sourced from wind, solar and biogas. Responsible Choice: The Kingfish Company is excited to be recognised and recommended as a “Green Choice” by:
• Heat Exchangers: To minimize energy use for heating, our warm outflow water transfers heat to our incoming water via a state of the art heat-exchange system custom designed for marine water use.
• Aquaponics: Our outflow water is rich in nutriants before it is biologically purified in our internal water treatment systems, in order to keep discharge as low as possible. With that in mind, we intend to maximize the use of our outflow as fertilizer for Salicornia crops and Algae production.
• Fresh Water Conservation: Operating on sea water, we do not waste a precious and rare resource.
• Bio Security: waste water treatment with incorporated solids removal, ensures a safe discharge of our outflow water. As an additional safety measure, the discharge of our hatchery and quarantaine units is sterilized by powerful UV and Ozone treatment, ensuring no biological impact from the farm to its natural surroundings.
• Bio Diversity Protection: Unlike traditional cage farming, our farm is on land and our output treatment system ensures that it is technically impossible for our fish to escape and mix with the natural surroundings.
• Animal Welfare: Dutch Yellowtail was granted permission as a production species in Holland in 2012, based on the results of a 3 year independent research with a major focus on animal welfare. The Kingfish Company continues to implement further improvements based on the already developed know - how in this field, first and foremost out of respect for the animal itself and our social responsibility, and even from a commercial perspective - a happy fish performs better.